Interrupting This Writing Blog...

 

I’m going to interrupt this writing blog to talk about something very serious...

I have found that convincing someone that they need help with their addiction, and they need to go to rehab is the easy part of recovery.  Convincing them to stay there after the first night is what’s difficult.  There’s nothing like answering the phone at three in the morning and hearing your loved one beg you to come pick them up—hearing them tell you that everyone there is mean, and rude them—that the system is working for them, and it’s just not a right fit.  And then, after you’ve worn out every polite encouragement to continue and every message of love you can give them, your loved one turns the pity into blame and hate toward you.  Suddenly you’re wondering if telling them, “No, I can’t come get you,” is the right thing.  To be completely honest, I still don’t know.  I just want them to get better.  I want to be able to include them in my life, but that can only happen if they are sober.  So, I stick to my guns, and the phone call abruptly ends with them hanging up on me.  And that’s just the first night.

I have been around drug use since I was thirteen years old.  I work with prisoners every week and speak about the strongholds of their addictions with them.  This isn’t my first rodeo, and unfortunately it will not be the last.  I know I’m not the only one out there dealing with a loved one with an addiction, but I also know being that person can feel extremely lonely when you’re trying to do everything you can, and everyone (including the loved one you’re trying to help) makes you feel like you’re wasting your time. 

This past week, our loved one ran away from the detox center and found his way back to the people that support his addiction.  It’s devastating to watch.  We may have lost this battle for now, but my hope and prayer is that we will win the war.

If you or someone you love is struggling with an addiction, please take the steps to seek some sort of help.  If nothing else, speak to someone about it.  There are so many resources out there you can take advantage of.  Most are free or will go through the steps to help you get coverage.  Breaking an addiction is not an easy road, but it’s a necessary one. 

This is a link to the SAMHSA National Helpline website.  It’s a great starting point for help, but I’m sure there are other local resources in your area also (wherever you may be).  If this post doesn’t apply to you, that is awesome!  But please pray for all of us that need the encouragement to keep wanting to help.  Thank you all!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

BOOK REVIEW: Abandoned, By Vicky Ball

Cover Options for The Gouge

Exciting News!